Thursday, July 19, 2012

Romeo & Juliet

One of William Shakespeare's most well-known plays made into a children's board book!  Baby Lit, the series is called.  An introduction to the world of classic literature with simple pictures & easy to understand words.  I give this series a big thumbs up for it being unique & entertaining, not because I think it will somehow give my child a leg up in the literary world.  --Cause lets be honest, Baby K mostly prefers drooling on these pages!  :) 

While reading about these star-crossed lovers, we took on a rather English theme.  (Somehow I just can't seem to read it without an English accent today!)  Went to a Shakespeare play, checked out a variety of dry teas, & tasted a spot of tea.

* Story:  Romeo & Juliet by Jennifer Adams & Alison Oliver
* Age:  Infant
* Activities/ Experiences:
         1.  Shakespeare In The Park. 
         2.  Sensory bin of tea.
         3.  Tea party.


1.  Shakespeare In The Park.  If your town offers this, its fun.  And free!  Baby Girl & I spread out a blanket among the other patrons, shared some icecream, & took in a little Hamlet-- before the rain started in & we retreated to dryer ground.  Made a scrapbook page of the evening, using Stampin Up products. 

2.  Dry Tea.  Its sticky, as it turns out.  But an entertaining sensory experience!  Feeling the grains, drawing with our fingers, smelling the teas...   

3.  Tea party.  Lately, I seem to be sneaking a tea party into our day fairly often.  (Must be a girl thing.)  But this English theme gave me a legitimate reason.  I wore my queen tiara & Baby K semi-wore a big English-looking hat.  Those Brits sure are known for those extravagent hats, arent' they!

My favorite quotes:
"Good Night, Good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be morrow."
-Romeo & Juliet, 2.2

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet"
-Romeo & Juliet, 2.2

No comments:

Post a Comment